Gain a renewed appreciation for our incredible ecosystem whilst exploring its wonders.
Our Time on Earth is a major exhibition celebrating the power of global creativity to transform the conversation around the climate emergency.
Happening at the Barbican Centre and running until the 29th of August, Our Time on Earth will take you through immersive, interactive installations and digital works.
There will be a showcase of 18 works, including 12 new commissions from 12 countries around the world.
You’ll experience three different interconnected sections: Belong, Imagine and Engage, all designed to create a shift in consciousness and change the way you think about the natural world.
This section will explore our connection to other species and help us understand our place in the biosphere.
The main installation in this section is Sanctuary of the Unseen Forest, a unique video installation offering a window into tree time.
This section will explore positive possibilities in a near-future world based on a new value system.
There will be 10 captivating installations in this section, including:
- Superflux’s Refuge for Resurgence, which will feature a reimagined home where humans, plants and animals prosper together with resilience, adaption and hope.
- Wild Arrow #7, a new film by Selvagem centred around creationism and re-enchantment.
- Symbiocene, a new commission that looks at how indigenous technologies are invaluable to our collective understanding of and response to the climate crisis.
- Planet City by Liam Young, a provocative film about returning stolen lands and housing the world’s population in one giant sustainable city.
- Queer Ecology by Brigitte Baptiste and the Institute of Digital Fashion, a film that looks at what humans can learn from nature’s own gender fluidity.
- A Biological Future for Fashion by Biofabricate, which imagines how materials made by living cells can revolutionise fashion, featuring designs by ZARA, Nuima Nakazato and more.
- Sharing Prosperity by DVTK Studio x UCL Institute of Global Prosperity, which explores what relational economy could look and feel like in 2040.
- Where Does Your Building Come From? by Build X Studio and Mycotile, which explores the possibilities of global technology and local materials.
- The World Beneath Our Feet by George Monibot and Holition studio, an installation that will transport you underground to experience the wealth of amazing organisms first-hand.
- 2040 – Sensible Zone by Territorial Agency, which analyses the zone where the biosphere interacts with the ocean, atmosphere and land to allow inhabitation.
This section will explore how humans can take collective action for widespread systemic change.
You’ll be experiencing these inspiring installations:
- Stories of Change by Wallmakers, an immersive space that looks at grassroots organisations and world change-makers to find out what is happening on ground.
- Stories of Change by The Earth Issue, a series of video interviews presented across 10 screens and featuring global voices spearheading environmentalist initiatives.
- Sonic Waterfall by Silent Studios, a sound and light installation that will lead you into a therapeutic journey towards awareness about our role in the natural world.
It’s time to engage with our shared habitat like never before. Book your tickets to Our Time on Earth now.
Hope to see you there!
*Spend responsibly, spending more than you can afford could seriously affect your financial status. Credit subject to status, 18+, UK residents only. Representative APR 18.1% (fixed). Rep Example: based on total spend: £240 (+ £2.50 transaction fee). Total repayable: £242.50 paid over 6 weeks, 1st payment £62.50, then 3 payments of £60.00 every 2 weeks. T&Cs apply.